Sunday, March 04, 2007

Psychiatrist, wife die in murder-suicide

As Reported in the Battle Creek Enquirer - under apparently mysterious circumstances, where the psychiatrist, sadly, could not heal himself.

The deaths of a Livingston County couple, one a psychiatrist who practiced in Battle Creek, have been ruled by police as a likely murder-suicide.

The bodies of John M. Lowenbergh, 65, and his wife Nancy, 62, were found Monday in their burning home in Livingston County's Hamburg Township, where they lived 23 years.

John Lowenbergh practiced at Battle Creek's Behavioral Health Resources at 3630 Capital Ave. S.W., a part of Summit Pointe.

Nancy Lowenbergh died of a single gunshot wound to the head before fire broke out, said Hamburg Township Police Chief Steve Luciano. Her death was ruled a homicide.

John Lowenbergh also had a gunshot wound to the head that police said likely was self-inflicted. But autopsy results indicated he was alive when the fire started and died of smoke inhalation, Luciano said.

"We continue searching for any potential motive or explanation why this terrible tragedy occurred," Luciano said. "Everyone continues to tell us that the Lowenberghs were good people."

Erv Brinker, chief executive officer of Summit Pointe, said Lowenbergh was a part-time contractual employee for the past 18 months, working 20 to 30 hours a week.

"He used computers and technology looking at brain waves," Brinker said Friday. "He was interested in how the brain worked."

Brinker called Lowenbergh an intelligent man. "He was fairly reserved and he worked well with staff and was a personable gentleman. There was no indication there was a problem."

Brinker said word of the deaths was a surprise.

"The staff who worked with him were surprised and greatly saddened," Brinker said.

Before coming to Battle Creek, Lowenbergh was a community faculty member of the Michigan State University Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies.

Lowenbergh had an apartment at the Arbors of Battle Creek at 10 Rambling Road on Battle Creek's south side. Hamburg Township police searched the apartment Friday.

The fire was reported by a man who arrived to plow the Lowenberghs' driveway and saw smoke coming from the home's roof vents. The fire apparently had been set in an upstairs guest bedroom, Luciano said.

The Lowenberghs were found lying side-by-side in their bed, Luciano said. Two dogs in the home were rescued by neighbors.

Firefighters reported that the house was locked and there was no evidence that anyone else was inside. Nothing appeared missing and police said they didn't know of threats against the couple.

A semi-automatic handgun which had been fired twice was found in the bedroom near the bodies, police said.

The couple had been married for 35 years. John Lowenbergh was a practicing psychiatrist and an Army veteran who served in Vietnam. Nancy Lowenbergh was a registered nurse who worked for the University of Michigan Health System.

A memorial service was scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at Knox Presbyterian Church in Ann Arbor.

5 comments:

Dots said...

Both Nancy and John were good family friends and we had known them for more than 20 years. The fact that this horrible tragedy happened is a shock to all who knew them. Nancy is missed deeply for her work as a research nurse recruiting subjects for minority health studies, and joyful friend, making a huge positive difference to those must in need. John, also, was an excellent clinician and research doctor, and kind gentle man, who did much to help others. There was no warning that they had any problems between them. Our family spoke to them the Friday before they died. Unfortunately, the why, in this final violent act will never be answered. Make no mistake, It is one sided and irresponsible of this blogger to post only negative behavior by Psych professionals, what about posting about the tremendous good that they do everyday as well!

Unknown said...

Due to recent events at Summit Pointe in Battle of which I recently became aware of , I find it is time to set the record straight . First of all Dr Lowenbergh was a Monster who was enabled by Erv Brinker who anyone with any sense would call an Egomaniac. I was receiving counseling due to the grief caused from a stalker who had inflicted 3 years of violence and grief towards me. That stalker Tim Marsh was murdered by a young man named Andrew Klepper who was being treated by Summit Pointe. I sought counseling in order to heal and move forward, and did so with the expectation that my files would be kept private . I recall that Summit Pointe pushed hard for passage of Hipaa Laws and then decided to ignore them when it was to their convenience. I was horrified on one visit when Dr. Lowenberg approached me in the waiting area and informed me that I had along with several others been enrolled in a study he was conducting . That study entailed the correlation of mental illness in people with seizure disorder. I immediately asked Dr. Lowenberg how he was privy to the fact that I suffered from seizures ? Hi reply was that he was contracted by Summit Pointe to conduct the study. I then informed him that I had given no permission for any other doctor or person to even view my file. Dr. Lowenbergh became agitated and told me I had no choice and was required to participate. I then called Dr. Lowenbergh , "Dr. Frankenstein". Dr. Lowenbergh then went into a tirade and told me he could make certain I not receive any further treatment unless I complied. I responded by telling him to go fuck himself. I then informed all of the others present whom I knew to also have seizure disorder that they were not obligated to participate either. I also advised them that their rights had been violated and it would be prudent to make a complaint to a Patient Rights Representative. I walked away from Dr. Lowenbergh and made a report immediately. I also called and spoke to Erv Brinker and of course he backed Dr. Lowenberg and nothing was done. I made mention of the threat Dr. Lowenbergh made as well as how he behaved . This was before the murder suicide and it did not suprise me in the least that the doctor later expressed his frustration in such an awful way.
The reality is I am privy to much more as I advocated for countless individuals in the 39 years I lived in Battle Creek, Mi. I intend to make it all very public now.

KM said...

This is very interesting and I followed your tail via Enquirer FB remarks. I also knew Erv, but not in a professional capacity, I want from afar, shocked. Your story is compelling and good for you for taking the time to speak up. I hope you get a voice other then this. Who knows, maybe the paper will listen. Most likely not. Be well

KM said...

Good for you for speaking up I hope you find a bigger voice as I stumbled my way here via the enquirer FB comment

KM said...

Interesting