Friday, May 16, 2008

The psychiatric drug connection to Emo Kids

A report in the Guardian newspaper on the "emo" fad labels it as a cult, but of interest to our regular readers is the connection to psychiatric medications. Specifically, paragraphs 61 through 63 of the story read:

"'I was going through an unhappy period at school," she recalls. 'I grew up in the wealthy area of Cheshunt in Hertfordshire, and I was surrounded by spoilt rich kids. I felt that being an emo gave me a defined individuality.'"

"Looking back, she acknowledges that the 'cult', as she calls it, was heavily linked to self-harm and depression."

"Many of her friends were actually taking prescription antidepressants."
SSRI Stories believes 13 year old suicide victim Hannah Bond (featured in the story) may have ingested antidepressants given to her by her friends. This is a fairly common practice.

No comments: