Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Need for Reform in California

Some kind soul has brought this blog entry to my attention

Last month, I wrote an OpEd about California's Section 2230.5 of the Business and Professions Code which prevents the Medical Board of California from investigating complaints older than seven years. In light of the arrest of prominent child psychiatrist Dr. William Ayres for allegedly sexually molesting many of his patients, I felt it was important for California to take another look at its self-imposed statute of limitations on investigations. There is no way to know if victims in this case might have come forward earlier if they'd known the Medical Board would actually investigate their claims.

This issue is personal for me because I was treated by a child psychiatrist, Dr. Martin E. Widzer, in California from 1981 to 1983 who I believe was negligent in treating me and for not reporting to authorities the physical abuse that I suffered growing up as a child. Additionally, as his own notes indicate, he may be guilty of physical assaulting me on one occasion when I was twelve years old. While I reported this information to the Medical Board of California in 1998, they closed the case in the middle of the investigation when the California Legislature passed Section 2230.5, which prevented the Medical Board from investigating cases older than seven years.

It concerns me that Dr. Widzer continued his practice with children over the past ten years. I invite clients that may share similar concerns about his conduct to contact me. Perhaps some good can come from this.

Although my OpEd was not published, you can read it in its entirety below:
The Op Ed is available in full on the Blog page, as well as appropriate contact information

No comments: