Monday, April 23, 2007

When the shrinks really get it wrong

In which a women sees a report that a local shrink did on her, and is outraged. Here are some of the inaccuracies

* I was NOT abused as a child.
* I have NEVER physical abused my children. Nor would I ever. I would sooner hurt myself.
* My illnesses have not affected any friendships. I’ve kept them well hidden outside the home.
* I was never anorexic.
* I was NOT the class clown.
* I will NOT say or do anything to get my way. While I may try to say a few selfish or manipulative things it never goes any further. I would never do anything.
* I do NOT continue to have frequent angry outbursts. My last one was in October and that had been the first one in years.
* I was only terminated ONCE from work due to personal differences with colleagues. The other times I was either working contract or left because I was bored. Most employers have asked me to stay on and maintained some sort of relationship with me.
* Any verbal/emotional abuse was minimal and is no longer present.
* The behaviour that I am concerned will impact my children is the sleeping, the missing out on activities, the crying, the bickering with their father. I am a worrier that’s what I do. I also tend to spoil them somewhat. I also worry that my worrying causes them to worry. I am concerned that they to will become perfectionists and their worst self-critiques. Nothing more!!!
* Hubby has not noticed my weird nightly muscle spasms since 1995, it has only been since about September.
* I don’t want to gain weight because it is unhealthy, not because I have an eating disorder.
* We did not travel frequently to Australia and England when I was a child, only South Africa.
* I have NEVER had any periods with increased spending or irregularly high libido. Nor have I had periods of needing reduced amounts of sleep.
* I think it might be important to include the date rape when I was 14.
* She got the ages wrong for drinking and left out the smoking.
* My educational section was not complete.
She is currently diagnosed with several long term mental health conditions. Given the issues misunderstood by the shrink, as noted above, I can only wonder.

No comments: